JUNIOR GOLF at YGC
Welcome and Mission Statement
A very warm welcome to the York Golf Club junior section.
Here at York Golf Club we take a very keen interest in the development and nurturing of our juniors who, after all, are very much part of our future generation of golfers. Not only are we fortunate to have one of the most acclaimed courses in Yorkshire but the extensive practice facilities comprising a driving range, a short 7 hole par three pitch and putt course and practice chipping green provide an excellent opportunity for improvement. We cater for all levels of junior; whether you are just beginning to learn this great game or whether you are an accomplished single figure handicap golfer.
We are rightly proud of our Juniors' achievements. Our Junior Team plays in the York Union Junior League against 7 other local golf clubs. The matches are competitive but very friendly with a meal afterwards. These matches are a showcase for talented young golfers to progress into the York Union Junior Team which plays in the Yorkshire Inter-District Union of Golf Clubs Junior League. Former Junior Team members include Julian Taylor, former Yorkshire Amateur Champion and now competing on the PGA EuroPro Tour and Tom James, Assistant Professional at the club.
Our simple mission statement is to:
Promote the game of golf in a safe, fun and friendly environment in order to enable every junior to learn to enjoy the game and in so doing reach their full potential.
To achieve this we provide:
- Regular professional coaching sessions on most Tuesday afternoons 1630-1800hrs.
- A single session of individual and personal coaching for all junior members per year.
- Mentoring and guidance on the course for those starting the game to build up confidence in playing etiquette, course management and scoring.
- Regular junior competitions with reserved tee times on Sunday afternoons.
- A full fixture list of competitive matches for those CONGU handicapped juniors against other teams in the York Golf Union.
- Encouragement to get out and play, where possible utilising the support of adult members to share the enjoyment of watching our junior members flourish.
- A supportive safe and enjoyable environment where the wellbeing and safeguarding of all children is paramount.
The Junior Section is spilt into two sections:
1. CONGU Handicapers. The experienced and competent juniors who form the squad for competitive junior matches.
2. The 'Blues'. Those juniors who are just starting out and are yet to achieve a handicap and those who have a
club handicap from the Blue Tees.
Points of Contact for York Juniors. Responsibility for the junior section is vested in the following individuals:
Coaching - Tom James (TJ).
CONGU Matches - Peter Kay.
Blues - Colin Riddell.
Child Welfare Officer - Mike Wells (Club Secretary).
Whatever your ability level and aspirations we are confident that the friendly, fun and supportive environment at York Golf Club will enable you to realise your potential. If you are interested in taking up golf or want more information please get in touch with our professional team on 01904 490304 who will be delighted to assist you.